A bike computer is an addition to a conventional road bike or MTB. But for an electric bike, the display is like the eyes of that bicycle.
You don’t just use it to track the ride; it indicates whether your bike is OK or not; just like our eyes indicate whether we are sleeping or awake. If everything is fine on the bike, the display will light up.
If the display doesn’t light up, there is something wrong with the e-bike. So, if the electric bike display is not working, you must fix it.
Anyway, to fix a device, you must know why it is not working. The bike display can stop working due to faulty IC or damaged screen.
But, it happens very often that the display stops functioning because of its own fault. Most of the time, other components of the bike cause display errors. Asking how?
Check it out.
7 Reasons you’re electric bike display not working
An electric bike display stops working most of the time due to a low or no power supply. It occurs because of loose connections, faulty connectors, or damaged components. A dead battery also can be a reason. But, it’s too rare that the display stopped working because of a defective circuit or screen.
Whatever the problem is, you need to diagnose the bike to identify and fix the problem. Let’s dig out the reasons so that you can do it perfectly.
- Empty battery: As the power flow starts here, it’s good to start with the battery. If the battery is too low or empty, the display won’t light up after switching the bike ON.
- Loose connections: Most commonly, display blackouts appear because of loose connections through the wiring. There are six or more wires attached to the circuit. Whenever one or more of them is disconnected or loose, the display can stop functioning.
- Broken teeth/prong: Connectors connect the bike computer with the battery and controller. If a single tooth of that connector breaks, the display won’t work. Besides, broken prongs of the battery system prevent the flow of electricity from reaching the computer. Thus, the display can stop working.
- Controller malfunction: Controller is one of the most important parts of the electric bike. You can turn on/off the bike, accelerate or brake with it. If the controller is not functioning well, the display will flick or won’t work.
- Defective Switches: A power button is mounted on the throttle to turn the bike on. The display also has functional keys to on/off or set/reset itself. If at least one of these buttons gets damaged, turning the display on won’t be possible.
- Blown fuse: Because of overload, electrical parts heat a lot. As a result, the fuse gets blown. Not only the fuse but any type of wire can also burn out due to overheating. In these cases, the display stops working.
- Defective IC/screen: In very few cases, the problem is inherent inside the bike computer. It can be a corrupted integrated circuit or a broken screen.
You may read also Ebike motor makes a clicking noise
A Quick fix for electric bike display
Before starting the real repair job, you should give it a last try for a quick fix. Most of the time, the display gets fixed with it. So, let’s know what you should try.
- Fill the Battery: The battery needs to be charged to light the display up. So, you have to ensure there is enough charge in your battery. Before that, check the battery level. You can check it out with the battery level indicator. If your ebike battery doesn’t feature a battery level indicator, use a voltmeter to determine the power. Charge the battery if the power is less than 40% and try to turn the display ON again.
- Set-Reset: Sometimes, the display can be fixed with minor adjustments. So, you must try to fix the display by setting and resetting it. Firstly, reset the bike computer. For that, tap and hold the power button and function button together for 5 seconds. By this, the display can light up. If this hack fails, reset the connectors. Disconnect all of them and connect again. Thus, the display can get fixed.
How to fix electric bike display
If you have failed to fix the display with the above tricks, get a pro solution. The below tips can help you to fix the problem. But before that, you must get some essential tools and supplies ready. It’s necessary to do the job with ease and perfection.
Basic tools you will need…
- Screwdriver Set: A must-have repair tool to open and get access inside various bike components.
- Soldering Iron Kit: It is necessary to join wires with the connectors. Also, modifying the circuits is not possible without a soldering iron.
- Wire Connectors: Get some compatible wire connectors. You may need them if you find damaged connectors in the controller.
Tip-1: Rectify electrical faults
As I said before, a loose connection is a primary reason for display blackouts. That’s why it’s good to start with eliminating the electrical faults. Let’s go step by step to do it properly.
- Firstly, discover each and every wire joint through the bike. Whether it’s of motor, battery throttle or computer. Then, identify a disconnection or a loose connection and reconnect it. You can also replace the wiring if it is severely damaged or burnt out.
- Secondly, take the controller out of the bike frame. It’s situated chiefly near the battery management system. At first, loosen the face-plate screw and remove it. Then take a picture of the controller panel. Thus, you can remember the wiring alignment. Now, disconnect all the cables and bring the controller off the bike.
- Lastly, look for damaged wires and connectors. If you find any, adjust or fix it. Replace them if they are damaged severely or cannot be fixed. After that, don’t reinstall the controller and follow the next tip.
You might be interested in reasons electric bike motor cuts out
Tip-2: Swap components
Sometimes things go so wrong that they can’t be fixed. So, it’s better to swap some components that create too many problems. In this case, you can name the controller as a swappable component. But, it’s a bit costly to replace a controller. Rather, you can replace the MOSFET and save some money.
- Firstly, get some MOSFETs. Generally, 6 or more MOSFET is mounted on a controller. However, you must match the input and output voltage of the new MOSFET with the old one. Also, check the resistance offered by these MOSFETs.
- Lastly, replace the damaged MOSFETs. Before that, remove the controller casing and take the circuit out. Now, cut the old MOSFETs with a small Needle Nose Plier. Then, place the new MOSFETs accordingly to the circuit. Finally, join the MOSFETs with soldering.
Tip-3: Replace the bike computer
If the display has a defective IC or screen, I recommend not fixing it yourself. Rather, you should give it to an electrician who is an expert in repair works. Firstly, you have to ask about the problem and learn how much he will charge. Then, you can decide whether to repair or replace it.
Anyways, if you have decided to replace it, know that a bike computer is a costly accessory to get. It will cost around 150 USD for a budget one and 300 to 400 USD for the mid to high-end.
However, consider the screen size, battery backup, connectivity, and additional features before getting a bike computer.
If you ask me for a recommendation, I will suggest Germain Edge 530. It’s one of the best electric bike displays that offer value for money.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are e-bike displays interchangeable?
How do I know if my e-bike controller is working?
This job is done by a set of MOSFETs. Testing the controller actually means evaluating the resistance of those MOSFETs. You can measure it with a multimeter. If the resistance is at an optimum level, the controller is okay. However, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to know the optimum resistance level.
You have already learned how essential the electric bike display is. So, when it is dead, it presses upon your nerves.
However, some bike components are associated with the display. These components get damaged most of the time, and the display stops working. Also, the IC or screen can be an issue to display failure.
Anyway, when the IC or Screen is defective, you can think about getting a new bike computer. But for other faults, it’s easy to get a solution.
Before that, you must know why the electric bike display is not working. And then, get a fix accordingly. Don’t worry, everything will be alright then.