Say you’re an avid bike enthusiast, and recently you’ve finally managed to get your desired SUV after a long wait. But, sadly, it doesn’t come with anything where you can carry your bike.
So you look to get a bike rack and have searched in multiple places, but instead, you’re only confused with all the options.
Worry not! As I am here to assist you in finding the best suit of bike racks for your Jeep. My colleagues who own SUVs, more specifically Jeep Cherokees, have gone through this phase as well, and lucky for you, I was there with them.
As we move forward, I will guide you through a few bikes for your Jeep Cherokee to find the clarity you are looking for.
What are the Criteria before buying a bike rack for Jeep Cherokee?
Before going on to an overhaul of looking at the best bike racks, you must first know the basic things to know before going to purchase one. Even though most bike racks are made adjustable to any such vehicles, but you need to know what should be the best option for you. Like,
- The types of racks.: There are many types of racks, like the hitch mount or roof mount. We will talk about various bike racks in brief in the following sections. So stay tuned.
- The number of bikes you may want to carry: The rack you have purchased may not carry the number of cycles you want. So, must be extra careful about the number of bikes and the maximum weight the rack can carry.
- Your desired budget: your desired product may not meet your budget, so you need to be aware in wanting the exact specifications.
- Fuel or gas consumption: If you’re someone who’s extra calculative in your fuel expenses, then you must avoid getting the roof mount racks. Because Roof-mounted racks comparatively consume more fuel than hitch-mounted ones. Roof-mounted racks cause aerodynamic turbulence in the vehicle.
- You also might be on the lookout for bikes with special locking features because you may be going on to a neighborhood infamous for theft. So, you need to get a bike rack that is reliable in terms of security, a bike rack that has anti-theft features.
Before you buy: Types of Bike Racks
Most people, in general, know that bike racks in meant to be at the rear end of a car. I as well knew the same until I went on to help my colleagues with their Jeep Cherokees. There are many three types of Bike Racks:
- Hitch-Mounted: The racks that are placed at the rear end of the vehicle.
- Roof-Mounted: The racks that are placed on the roof side of the vehicle. Some SUVs have bars pre-installed for mounting.
- Spare-Tire Mounted: These racks are also placed at the rear end of the vehicle but it is attached to the spare tire of the SUV. Spare-Tire Mounted might be irrelevant for you since you drive a Jeep Cherokee.
You will be getting a hitch-mounted bike rack since it is suitable in terms of aerodynamics as well as your Jeep Cherokee’s hitch attachment.
Now, let us go through the best racks for your Jeep Cherokee.
The Best Racks for your Jeep Cherokee
This one falls into the budget segment category. If you’re under a tight budget or seek to purchase one since you’re in an emergency, then the Allen Sports Ultra Compact Bike Rack is the wisest choice for you.
Its ultra-compact design is definitely the right choice for you. It has a foldable aesthetic so that you can carry it around in your bag. There’s also padding between the bikes and the car’s surface so that there are no scratches.
The bikes are very easy to put. So easy that you may think that the bikes are not properly installed but it definitely is.
Also, the rack is designed in such a way that it can into your Jeep Cherokee, other SUVs, and Sedans. It is always a wise choice to purchase an Allen Sports rack because you will be getting a lifetime warranty.
Let me give you the pros and cons so that you understand them in a nutshell.
- Extremely Compact and strong design.
- Budget-friendly product compared to other competitors.
- A foldable design can let you carry it anywhere you desire.
- The three padding straps will secure your bike and your Jeep.
- Built for all types of SUVs and Sedans.
- The Allen Sports Ultra Compact Bike Rack comes ready out of the box which is a huge plus.
- Perfect for those who like to travel and want something that has easy installation and requires two bikes.
- It gets a bit complicated when you want to fold the rack.
- The hooks might damage the areas of the bike. (Better to put some tape or cloth as a guard)
- To attach female bikes, you may need to add a crossbar.
This one falls under the premium pricing segment. I would recommend you to get this if budget is not an issue for you because Swagman makes amazing bike racks that are user-friendly. According to Swagman, they say that the installing and removing part only takes 2 minutes.
Their unique as well convenient feature is that you can tilt down the bikes based on your activities. If you want to open your back trunk then you can open it up without worrying about the bike rack.
In terms of security they provide, a hitch pin and locking ratchet hooks so that the bikes remain firm while riding on bumpy, rough terrain.
For its price point, it only carries 2 bikes which is a big drawback for me but its tilt feature is something worth looking at.
Now for the pros and cons:
- Its design is made from Alloy steel.
- Carries various types of bikes that weigh up to 45 pounds.
- The Swagman has a very compact design with an easy installation and removal process.
- It has a lock and key feature, along with plenty of straps as well the hitch pins and locking ratchet hooks for the bikes to stay stagnant.
- The company provides a lifetime warranty just like Allen.
- The product doesn’t come preinstalled.
- For its price point, it only carries 2 bikes.
- This bike rack is not exactly suitable for E-bike as they often weigh more than 45 pounds.
When it comes to Bike racks Allen never disappoints with their products and services. The Allen Sports 2 Bike Hitch Rack is surely an option when it comes to picking the ones that comprise all the specs.
It has no wobble hitch installation so that after installation the rack is completely tightened. It has 1-1/4- and 2-inch receiver hitches which is suitable for the Jeep Cherokee. The tilt feature surely adds a lot of conveniences as it’ll give you mobility in opening the back trunk.
For protection, the rack has a cradle system so that you can attach every bike individually. Also, the carry arm can be folded in a very simple way which adds a lot of flexibility in the installation and removal.
A huge snag is that the bike can only weigh up to 70 pounds which isn’t enough in neither the price point nor the compared to other alternatives. But, not everyone needs to carry more than 1 bike in their racks.
- Compact design that is easy to install and carry.
- Made of Alloy steel coated with black powder that makes it is far more protective than other bike racks.
- It carries 2 bikes.
- Comprises most of the features at a competitive price point.
- The rack has a tilting feature so that you can be more mobile with your vehicle.
- The no wobble installation gives the rack a strong attachment with no loose ends on bumpy roads.
- The tie cradle system for each bike adds a lot of value in terms of security.
- It only carries up to 70 pounds. So, you won’t be able to carry e-bikes or those big tired bikes.
- There have been some complaints that the rack isn’t strong enough to ride on rough terrains freely.
Now, I’d like to show you the four bike rack ones since you have gotten quite a few options for 1 or 2 bike racks. That is the Ikuram 4 bike rack bicycle carrier.
It comes with a full black steel aesthetic which has a protective powder coating to resist rust and for longevity. The Ikuram rack comes with a dual-mounted design and has enough space to put any kind of bike.
It comes with quick, secure straps and dual compound cradles with various tube sizes so that you get to place your bikes firmly and securely. Moving on, the swinging backward design lets you use the rear trunk with flexibility.
The arms of the rack are easy to fold down whenever the rack is staying idle. I really don’t see any significant or noticeable drawbacks in it, especially after seeing that it can four bikes up to 140 pounds.
For your clarity, let’s show you the pros and cons:
- Easy to install and has a foldable hitch mount.
- Tilt down feature adds convenience to your mobility.
- Can carry four bikes.
- The Ikuram comprises most of the features with a competitive price range.
- It has dual arms and enough space for all the bikes to fit firmly.
- Ikuram provides a lifetime warranty.
- It carries up to 140 pounds. So, you won’t be able to e-bikes along with other bikes, including those big tired bikes. The weight distribution needs to be considered since bikes with big tires, and e-bikes generally carry a lot of weight.
Allen always comes as a pick in all ranges when we talk about bike racks. This rack not only is well built and robust but also packed with features that are not so complicated to do.
Like, there’s a special locking knob. It quite easily lets you install the rack to the hitch without any complications. It has two long arms where you set up to 4 bikes securing them with Allen’s patented tie-down system. Just like a couple of other Allen bike racks, this one’s arms can also be folded when it is not in use.
Not to mention, it has a steel design coated with black powder. A minor drawback of this product is that it doesn’t come installed, you have to assemble it.
Now for the Pros and Cons:
- It has a steel design that has a black powder coating that resists rust and dirt.
- It holds up to bikes 4 bikes weighing up to 140 pounds.
- It has fully adjustable foldable arms that are 22 inches.
- Just like other racks, this one also has the tilt-down feature.
- It has a Patented single key release system Tie-down strap
- A minor assembly is required.
- Weighs up to 140 pounds so you won’t able to carry more than 1 e-bike and large tired mountain bikes at the same time.
I have added a comparison table below so that you can understand the small similarities and dissimilarities among the products.
|Features||Allen Sports Ultra Compact Bike Rack||Swagman CHINOOK Hitch Mount Bike Rack||Allen Sports 2-Bike Hitch Rack||IKURAM 4 Bike Rack||Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack|
|Item Weight||7.28 Lbs||5 Lbs||0.2 Lbs||23 Lbs||12.5 Lbs|
|Material||Metal||Alloy Steel||Alloy Steel||Alloy Steel||Alloy Steel|
|Bikes Carry||2 bikes||2 bikes||2 bikes||4 bikes||4 bikes|
|Pre-assembly||Yes||No||No (Quick Assembly)||No||No (Quick Assembly)|
You might have a preference for roof-mounted bike rack. So, you are probably now thinking that you have come this far and this person hasn’t even suggested any roof-mounted bike racks. Well, worry not! Because I saved one for the special mention.
I mainly didn’t suggest a roof mountain mounted rack because it doesn’t add up to the value of the products I have suggested to you. It is in terms of price point and productivity.
In an overall sense, I have seen that the hitch back-mounted bike racks are a better suit. So, so I’d like to special mention Rhino Rack Bike Carrier, which is a roof-mounted bike rack.
It has easy installation and removal, comes pre-assembled, and can carry a bike up to 35 pounds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are all bike racks suitable for all types of cars?
Yes and No. While there are some bike racks that have a universal fit, there are also some bike racks that precisely fit a few types of vehicles. Like, there are specific bike racks for Sedans, SUVs, and Trucks as well as those bike racks that can be attached to all of them.
How fast can you go with your bike rack?
When you have bikes placed on your vehicle, you should be able to go up to 75 miles per hour. Going faster is not an option! Because of the wind pressure, this could harm the bike or cause the bike rack to shatter.
Do bike racks Damage your car?
The paint on the jeep can be scratched if the bike racks aren’t appropriately attached. Some bike racks cannot be firmly attached by default, so those ruin the paionet job of your back trunk. Careful not to purchase bike racks that cannot be connected in a fixed state.
Thus, I believe you will now have some clearance in buying your bike rack for your beautiful Jeep Cherokee. I have tried to include all types of bike racks that comprise features and fair pricing.
You should not only be able to purchase knowing the specifications of the products but also have a good understanding of bike racks and their types.
If I had to pick one, knowing that you are on a budget and need one for emergency purposes then I would tell you to get the Allen Sports Ultra Compact bike rack. It is packed with features at an extremely cheap price.
And, lastly, if I had to pick one, knowing that budget isn’t an issue, and you own more than two bikes, I’d call it a tie between the Ikuram 4 bike rack and the Allen Sports Deluxe 4 Hitch Bike rack.
You can pick any of the two and have a very fulfilling experience. Because one isn’t less than the other. I don’t think you have any disappointed if you pick any of the five products.